The following are the key elements in the standard University Password Practices.
- Be a minimum of 8 characters
- Contain 3 of 4 character sets
- Capital letters (A-Z)
- Lowercase letters (a-z)
- Special characters (!?%&#)
- Avoid some dictionary words (Buckeye, Carmen, Brutus)
- Not end in a special character
It is strongly recommended that passwords:
- Contain 10 characters
- Use 4 character sets
- Do not contain personal identifying information (e.g. name, lastname.#, OSUID, SSN, date of birth)
- Avoid a capital letter as the first character (e.g. P2meetY0u)
- Avoid a digit as a last character (e.g. p2meetyo9)
Maximum Password Age
- All faculty, students, and staff are required to change their password every 90 days.
- A new password cannot match a previously used password.