OCIO Service Catalog
E-mail (University E-mail Service)
The University E-mail Service delivers a reliable, feature-rich integrated enterprise messaging and calendaring service for faculty and staff. Users have the ability to share calendars across the University, access a common address book, and create personal contacts and groups.
The University E-mail Service enables university-wide collaboration, communication and information exchange in an efficient and cost-effective manner. Some of the benefits of this service are:
Ability to efficiently and effectively communicate and collaborate with any other e-mail user
Schedule people and rooms within the University (resource management)
Time and contact management capabilities
Access e-mail remotely via the Internet
Ability to use mobile devices to check e-mail.
The basic University E-mail Service includes:
- Feature-rich, web-based access is available from anywhere (Outlook Web App) and looks like Outlook.
- Individual control of access to your calendar
- Integrated e-mail and calendaring tools
- 1 GB of primary mailbox storage per user
- Archive mailbox with unlimited storage per user
- Global Address List (GAL), which contains information about users, conference rooms, and other resources on the service
- Anti-spam and anti-virus protection
- Personal Address books and Distribution Groups
- Mobile devices can be set up to check for e-mail using Secure IMAP or POP
The following are optional services that can be requested.
- Larger primary mailbox sizes can be requested in 1 GB increments up to 10 GB
- Synchronization allows real-time update of e-mail and calendar on your mobile device
- BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES) Device must be compatible with BES
- ActiveSync for non-BlackBerry devices – Device must be compatible with ActiveSync
- Shared Distribution Groups (creation, change and deletion
- Enhanced Access Rights to manage multiple calendars and e-mail accounts can be requested
- Organizational Accounts (Cluster, departmental, and non-personal)
- Additional Enterprise Calendaring options including resource management for meeting rooms, and equipment reservations
The basic University E-mail Service is provided by the Office of the Chief Information Officer and is funded by the university.
There is no charge for optional University E-mail Service features; however, optional features are not provided automatically with the base University E-mail Service. Optional features must be specifically requested (refer to How To Order section for details). Note: Although OCIO does not charge for optional features Blackberry Enterprise Server (BES) and ActiveSync for non-Blackberry devices, fees may be incurred from your device provider.
This service is available to faculty and staff on all Ohio State campuses.
How To Order
To request e-mail related items, please contact the OCIO IT Service Desk at 614-688-4357 (8-4357 from a campus telephone).
OCIO Service Information and Service Level Targets apply to all OCIO services. Access to the document requires your Ohio State username and password.
Service Specific Parameters: The following are specific to this service and supersede the corresponding sections in the Common Service Information & Service Level Targets document:
Service Hours and Availability:
The University E-mail Service is designed to be a highly available service: 24 hours per day/7 days per week/365 days a year with a target of less than 9 hours of down time per year.
If there is an issue with the e-mail service, our commitment is to restore the service to normal operation as quickly as possible. For information regarding our target resolution times, please refer to the OCIO Service Information & Service Level Targets document.
The target turnaround for the completion of requests for e-mail services is within 5 business days.
For instructions and training aids, visit: Faculty and Staff E-mail User Information.
Monitoring and Reporting:
Frequency of report: Monthly. Reports will be available upon request through an OCIO Business Relationship Manager.
Service Availability Reports will be provided and will include:
Target mean time for incident resolution
Target turnaround time for the completion of requests for e-mail
- PC Outlook client 2010 or above or Outlook Web Access (OWA) is recommended for full use of the archive mailbox capacity. Learn More
- Ohio State departments and colleges are encouraged to use only supported e-mail clients (on the desktop) or the Outlook Web App to experience the full feature set provided through the University E-mail Service.
- The University E-mail Service is provided to faculty and staff for business use and carrying out the mission of the university. Use of e-mail service should align with the university's Responsible Use Computing and Network Resources Policy.