Chuck Sechler to Retire January 31

Article originally published in a different format

After more than 37 years at Ohio State, Charles H. "Chuck" Sechler, OIT senior systems engineer and site license administrator, has announced that he will retire on January 31.

"I just feel like it is time to move on to the next phase of my career," Sechler said. Adding, "I want to visit my children and grandchildren more often, travel to some places Lois (spouse) and I have on our list (Egypt, south of France, England, etc.), gardening, reading, finishing a large study my Dad started on the Mongols, expanding a number of volunteer activities in which I have interest and, of course, getting new roping for my hammock."

Sechler began his career at Ohio State on July 1, 1970, as a programmer II for the Instruction and Research Computer Center (IRCC), an OIT predecessor organization. Subsequently, IRCC transitioned to Academic Computing Services (1991), Academic Technology Services (1994), University Technology Services (1996), and now Office of Information Technology (2000). His office has always been located at Baker Systems Engineering.

Sechler has worked his entire career in information technology and his services will be missed. As site license administrator, he has negotiated vendor software contracts to save the university community millions of dollars.

Mike Veres, interim CIO, said, "Chuck has made many contributions to OSU and was also an instrumental participant in CIC (Committee on Institutional Cooperation) and IUC (Inter-University Council of Ohio) software negotiations and contracts that have helped make available software at significant savings."

Sechler said he is looking forward to all of the new opportunities ahead.