February 2015 OCIO Employee Spotlight: Seth Grover

This month’s employee spotlight falls on number cruncher and inconsistency seeker, Seth Grover. While he got his start in the OCIO at 8-HELP, his love of bookkeeping transitioned him seamlessly into the Finance realm. When not spending time poring over transactions at TNC, Seth can be found enjoying a slice at Hounddog’s or besting his buds at board games. Learn more about Fiscal Associate Seth Grover.

Q: What is your role at the OCIO?
My official job title is “Fiscal Associate” which gives a rough estimation of what my job entails—mainly, working with money.

To be a little more specific: The OCIO provides a large amount of great services to many people both inside and outside the university. These services cost money, so whenever someone has a question about their charges, needs billing paths adjusted, needs to make a payment over the phone or has pretty much any other question about our billing process, they can ask me.

I handle that and a lot of bookkeeping and account balancing. A whole lot of bookkeeping. (I like that sort of thing though.)

Q: How long have you worked at the OCIO?

While I just started at this current position in late November 2014, I have been with the OCIO for almost 3 years now.

I started at the IT Service Desk (8-HELP) in 2012. I had a great and educational time working there and cannot stress enough how amazing our current agents are at helping as many people with as many things as possible.

Q: What are you currently working on? What does a typical day look like for you?

The day usually starts with checking up on checks (ha!) that have been deposited and logging their values, accounts, due date, etc. From there I’ll generally move on to addressing any new questions that have been asked via email, voicemail or Service Now. There are usually a lot of these but once I finish them for the day, I’ll check up on accounts that customers are behind on payments and then move to working on additional projects while answering any other questions that come in throughout the day. One of the current projects I’m working on is compiling all the charges for a few specific accounts over the past few years for tax record purposes.

Q: What do you like best about your job?
Ok so I know this sounds like one of those sappy “my biggest weakness is trying too hard” answers but, honestly, my favorite thing about my job is the people I work with. At the Service Desk and with the Financial team I have worked with amazing, hardworking, kind people who really build a welcoming and cooperative atmosphere.

It also helps that I enjoy number crunching and finding inconsistencies… so yeah, that too.

Q: Where have you worked before this?

I worked with the Athletics Department on their IT Service Desk which was a blast and very educational. Before that, my first real job was delivering pizzas, which was really enjoyable as well since I like driving, and everyone is always happy to see you when you have pizza.

Q: Where did you go to college?
A little state university in the Midwest. Has its own zip code. Likes to emphasize the “THE” in its name. You might have heard of it.

I went to Ohio State for four years and enjoyed pretty much all of it. Despite starting in Computer Science, I graduated with a degree in Political Science, but then ended up working in computer support and now finance, so… *SHRUGS* Life is strange.

Q: Do you have any hobbies?
Many. I play a lot of board games and card games with friends. I run a Dungeons and Dragons game for a few people (yes, it’s still around). I also read a decent amount of comic books and enjoy video games. Pretty much anything that has a decent story I’ll enjoy.

Q: What is something most people might be surprised to know about you?
I am currently writing a sci-fi adventure book that initially started as an idea for a comic book. (I have zero drawing talent, so it progressed into a book idea from there.) The story follows a team of adventurers who are tasked with protecting our normal universe from encroaching alternate universes. That is the most basic description I can give--you’ll have to read the finished product to find out more.

Q: Favorite place to eat in Columbus?
I enjoy every type of food, so this a bit tricky. I’ll go with Hounddog’s Pizza on High and Dodridge. It’s easily my favorite pizza in town and I am a big fan on the grungy atmosphere of the restaurant itself.

Q: Best concert you’ve ever been to?
This summer I got to see one of my favorite bands, Neutral Milk Hotel, at the LC Pavilion. The band hadn’t toured or really done anything since the 90s and I doubt they’ll be touring again. The band sounded amazing and the weather was perfect. That combined with seeing a band I thought I would never get a chance to see live made it the best I’ve been to.

Q: Favorite quote?
“It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” 
-J.R.R. Tolkien – The Lord of the Rings

Q: Do you have a favorite book or movie?
Book: The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy – Hilarious, and a joy to read especially if you like sci-fi
Movie: The Princess Bride - The perfect movie. I cannot think of a thing wrong with it. One man’s quest to rescue the love of his life from an evil prince.
Comic Book: Sandman - Neil Gaiman’s series, not anything to do with the Spiderman villain. The amazing tale of the personification and source of dreams and inspiration. Artistic and beautiful.
Video Game: Persona 4 – a game about solving a series of supernatural murders with a growing team of friends.

Q: It’s 9 p.m. on a Saturday. What are you doing?
Probably having a few friends over to play board games.