March 2015 OCIO Employee Spotlight: Carie Moran

In the spotlight this month is HR Assistant Carissa (Carie) Moran. A fresh face in the OCIO, she’s also one of the first people new employees will meet as they follow the onboarding process to join the organization. This wife and mother of two loves helping her fellow employees almost as much as she loves getting lost in a handful of books at once! Learn more about Carie in this month’s Employee Spotlight.

Q: What is your role at the OCIO? I am a Human Resources Assistant. I support both OCIO and ODEE.

Q: How long have you worked at the OCIO? I started at the end of October last year, so I have worked at the OCIO for almost five months.

Q: Have you worked on any large projects since you’ve been here? I am currently involved with the HR/Connections Circuit Program, the IT Contractor Staffing Process and the Culture Team.

Q: What are you currently working on? What does a typical day look like for you? Every day is different in HR! I spend a lot of time helping with the onboarding of our new hires and assisting with the myriad of projects that arise in our HR department.

Q: What do you like best about your job? The best part of my job is being available to OCIO employees to answer questions and help them solve problems.

Q: Did you always know this is what you wanted to do as a career? No, I actually never even considered HR until I took a career aptitude test. Once I started exploring it, I realized that it is something that I might really enjoy, and I do!

Q: What was your childhood dream job? I have always loved to write, so when I was a child, I wanted to be an author. I still want to write a book someday.

Q: Where have you worked before this? I was a stay-at-home mom for 11 years. I went back to school when my son started preschool and graduated from Ohio State in 2012. I worked as an HR Associate at the OSU Comprehensive Cancer Center from 2012 to 2014.

Q: What was your very first job? I was a telemarketer for a mortgage company when I was in high school.

Q: Where did you go to college? OSU, of course!

Q: Where are you from originally? I am a Columbus native, as are my parents and ¾ of my grandparents!

Q: What is your favorite place to visit? I love to visit Chicago at Christmastime.

Q: If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go and why? I would actually love to live in Scotland for a year.

Q: Do you have any family? My husband, Joe; Our 13-year-old daughter, Gwen; and our 8-year-old son, Cameron.

Q: Do you have any hobbies? I love to read – I have a bad habit of reading 4 or 5 books at a time, but I just can’t help it. I like to have options. J

Q: What is something most people might be surprised to know about you? I am a pretty open book, so this one was hard for me. I asked my BFFs, and they think it would surprise people to know that I am a Metalhead.

Q: Favorite place to eat in Columbus? Roosters—I just love buffalo wings!

Q: Best concert you’ve ever been to? Nine Inch Nails in 1994

Q: Favorite quote? “Those who shun the whimsy of things will experience rigor mortis before death.” – Tom Robbins, Still Life with Woodpecker

Q: Do you have a favorite book or movie? My favorite book is A Wrinkle in Time by Madeline L’Engle.

Q: It’s 9 p.m. on a Saturday. What are you doing? This Saturday? I will be watching Season Three of House of Cards with my husband! Next Saturday? Who knows?

Q: Give three adjectives that best describe yourself. Easygoing, Loyal, Funny

Posted in: