July 2015 OCIO Employee Spotlight: Patrick Mayer

For July, the spotlight shines on three-year OCIO vet Patrick Mayer, the sarcastic Senior Security Engineer. Patrick enjoys the daily challenges he battles from Baker, where acronyms (like SEP and MDM) abound. Former photo historian and trapeze guru, this Tennessee native can be found reading a good book and enjoying a craft beer when he’s away from the university (and the kiddos). Read on to learn more about Mr. Mayer in this month’s Employee Spotlight.

Q: What is your role at the OCIO? Senior Security Engineer – Information Protection

Q: How long have you worked at the OCIO? Just shy of three years

Q: Have you worked on any large projects since you’ve been here? Three years and three Blue Chip projects (MDM, Client Protection – Endpoint Defense and Endpoint Encryption)

Q: What are you currently working on? What does a typical day look like for you? Currently I am working on operational improvements for Client Protection – Endpoint Defense (SEP), Endpoint Encryption and (everyone’s favorite) MDM. For those who don’t know, MDM is mobile device management, aka the Good app.

My days are mixed, varied and don’t allow for too much down time. While testing for one project, I have to review logs and reports for things like SEP to ensure we remain secure across the university.

Q: What do you like best about your job? It’s a never ending challenge that can change in a moment’s notice. It seems like there is always either something new to test, a new event to monitor or a new process to develop.

Q: Did you always know this is what you wanted to do as a career? No. I sort of fell into doing this. I originally intended to be a professor and had been accepted into a rather nice Master’s program before life took over and threw me a curveball.

Q: Where have you worked before this? I worked at a museum as a photo historian and at a circus as a dance instructor. I’ve also worked at AT&T and Ameriprise Financial.

Q: What was your very first job? I was a photo historian at the Southern Ohio Museum of Art and Cultural Center where I worked on cataloging and digitizing the photo history of Portsmouth, Ohio.

Q: Where did you go to college? Kentucky Christian University

Q: Where are you from originally? My hometown is Dayton, OH, but we moved when I was a baby, so Tennessee is where I have always called home.

Q: What is your favorite place to visit? I still love to go back to Tennessee and hike in the Smoky Mountains.

Q: If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go and why? Right at this moment, Disney World. I have two kids that are the perfect age to go and remember it forever. I will save my trip to Scotland for once they are all grown up.

Q: Do you have any family? I have the almost nuclear home. A wife, two kids and household pets.

Q: Do you have any hobbies? Kids kind of took over the hobby time in my life, but I still enjoy reading when the chance presents itself.

Q: What is something most people might be surprised to know about you? Not many other people have worked for a small circus or know how to use a trapeze, though reality TV has made it much more popular. No, I can’t do gymnastics anymore. It was fun, but it gave me my number of bumps and bruises for one lifetime.

Q: Favorite place to eat in Columbus? Buca di Beppo – the one in Worthington specifically.

Q: Best concert you’ve ever been to? Anberlin played a little bar show here in Columbus back in 2004. Of all the concerts I have ever gone to it was the best. All except for one band that hit it big a month later, Fall Out Boy… they actually got booed.

Q: Favorite quote? Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt. -Often attributed to Abraham Lincoln, but there is no evidence of it.

Q: Do you have a favorite book or movie? Two movies occupy my #1 spot and it’s probably the oddest tie of all time: Shawshank Redemption and Se7en.

Q: It’s 9 p.m. on a Saturday. What are you doing? Tucking some kiddos into bed most likely. After that, it is time to grab a good craft beer and enjoy the silence.

Q: Give three adjectives that best describe yourself. I asked around, but everybody just said sarcastic…