August 2015 Employee Spotlight: Justin Eyer

This August we turn the spotlight on to Senior Help Desk Analyst Extraordinaire, Justin Eyer. This soccer loving sword enthusiast tends to wear many hats, in and out of the office. Among the many duties Justin tackles in the OCIO, one of his favorites is molding his student workers and preparing them for the future. Learn more about this well-rounded and trustworthy (according to Justin) individual in this month’s Employee Spotlight.

Q: What is your role at the OCIO? That is a good question and I don’t know if anyone actually has the answer to that. It can be best described as the Jack of All Trades, Juggler of Hats that IT guy who is everywhere at once. Official title is Senior Help Desk Analyst—but in reality I do so much more. I cover phones, staff BuckeyeBar/Tech Hub, handle Desktop Support across campus, manage surplus, coordinate equipment moves, manage ITSD New Employee Training, manage 25+ (40 soon) students across three different branches for the Help Desk, transition support of newly acquired service areas and generally anything else that comes up. I am anywhere and everywhere all the time. [insert maniacal laugh here]

Q: How long have you worked at the OCIO? I started at the OCIO in October of 2010.

Q: Have you worked on any large projects since you’ve been here? I was on the management team for the 2010 IT Security Breach and I was the on-site migration lead for the UES migration that took me all across campus (and to other branches).

I have been a lead on several IT Support transitions including Desktop Support, Wexner Center for the Arts Phase 1 & 2, Office of Human Resources, WOSU, OSU-Lima (which involved living out of a hotel for the better part of seven weeks) and I assisted in OSU-Mansfield and BFAP IT Support merge.

Q: What are you currently working on? What does a typical day look like for you? A typical day for me does not exist. You can usually find me tearing apart a computer, training a new employee, fixing a desktop issue, putting out fires, moving equipment, running a network cable, fixing a printer, mentoring students, running around with my hair on fire, dancing a jig or playing air traffic controller.

My Current large projects are:

1. Increasing our ITSD Student Staff to 40+ students to support the increasing support needs
  2. Transitioning IT Support for WOSU and on-going support for OSU-Lima IT Support

Q: What do you like best about your job? Interacting with customers and fixing their issues. I also enjoy developing my student employees and preparing them for work outside the university after graduation.

Q: Did you always know this is what you wanted to do as a career? No, growing up I wanted to either be a paramedic or search and rescue. Something exciting with an adrenaline kick.

Q: Where have you worked before this? Many places including Luxottica Retail, Wendy’s home office, Vorys Sater Seymore and Pease LLP, Trucco/Foor Concrete and Construction, WBCO/WQEL Radio – just to name a few!

Q: What was your very first job? Besides farming, working as an on-air personality for the local radio station in Bucyrus, OH.

Q: Where did you go to college? The Ohio State University

Q: Where are you from originally? A land far far away, called Sycamore Ohio. The one up North not South.

Q: What is your favorite place to visit? Cedar Point or anywhere with a large body of water.

Q: If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go and why? Antarctica – why not? How many people could say they have been there. That or Ireland for the countryside and Guinness.

Q: Do you have any family? Lots – my current household consists of Jenn (wife) 3 cats and a new dog. Add to that a myriad of cousins/siblings/in-laws… yeah lots

Q: Do you have any hobbies? SOCCER!!! Reading, music, sword-fighting, bladesmith/blacksmith, acting, fitness, anime, and working on our new house.

One of my passions is acting. Since about 1996, one of my main hobbies/part time jobs is working in 'Time Period Re-creation'. I perform at Medieval and Renaissance festivals. So yes, I dress up in old-timey clothes, talk funny (nothing new) and run around pretending it is anywhere between 800-1800. I do everything from singing, dancing and sword-fighting to pirate stunt shows and making weapons. I spend a lot of my time now as a blade-smith apprentice. This means I am actually learning to stand over a hot forge, pound on glowing steel and making knives and swords. Yes they are real and not just chocolate covered in tin foil. My home faire is The Ohio Renaissance Festival but I have traveled as far as Texas, Florida and Colorado.

Q: What is something most people might be surprised to know about you? I have sailed with the Indian Royal Navy aboard the INS Tarangini and have driven steam powered locomotives. Yeah, be jealous.

Q: Favorite place to eat in Columbus? Tough one, Haas on Sawmill for Mexican or Tesuke for sushi and noodles or the Refectory for fine dining.

Q: Best concert you’ve ever been to? Toss-up between Type-O Negative and Buddy Guy.

Q: Favorite quote? If at first you don’t succeed, change the rules.

Q: Do you have a favorite book or movie? Movie – Any of the Riddick series. Book – too many to name.

Q: It’s 9 p.m. on a Saturday. What are you doing? Watching a movie, playing with the animals, playing a video game or possibly sword-fighting.

Q: Give three adjectives that best describe yourself. Adventurous, trustworthy and idiosyncratic