September 2015 OCIO Employee Spotlight: Rich Nagle

The spotlight this September shines on Associate Director of Identity & Access Management, Rich Nagle. Relatively new to the OCIO, Rich is busy keeping university IDs secure while learning the basics of being a Buckeye. Indiana Jones he is not, but swimming with sharks may be enough to qualify Rich as some type of action hero. Outside of the office, he enjoys spending time with family and many fish. Continue learning about this new member of the OCIO team.

Q: What is your role at the OCIO? My title is Associate Director of Identity & Access Management (I&AM). I lead service teams focusing on identities (name.#, my.osu.edu, IDx), single sign-on (Shibboleth), multi-factor authentication (BuckeyePass) and Access Administration for Enterprise applications across the university.

Q: How long have you worked at the OCIO? Approaching 90 days soon

Q: Have you worked on any large projects since you’ve been here? Yes. I’m the service owner for our Top 5 project on Multi-Factor Authentication. We’re looking to expand our service offering for a more secure user experience across the university.

Q: What are you currently working on? What does a typical day look like for you? I’m currently trying to understand the university, OCIO, each of the colleges and VP units and in general get to know people and where they sit on campus. A typical day is meeting about our MFA project, talking with my teams on their activities and reaching out to partners across campus on I&AM agendas.

Q: What do you like best about your job? I like that I have a great team of people focused on delivery of our services.

Q: Did you always know this is what you wanted to do as a career? Ha…no one that I know of in this world sets out to be in I&AM. It just happens to you…if you go back far enough in my childhood, you’d see me dreaming of being a cool archeologist…I really wanted to be Indiana Jones.

Q: Where have you worked before this? Borden Foods, Cardinal Health, STS Systems and JPMorgan Chase.

Q: What was your very first job? Delivering the local paper when I was 9

Q: Where did you go to college? Capital University

Q: Where are you from originally? Millersport, Ohio, on Buckeye Lake

Q: What is your favorite place to visit? Anywhere that involves a trip with my family

Q: If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go and why? Everest basecamp. I don’t want to climb the mountain, but the journey alone to basecamp would be amazing.

Q: Do you have any family? No, I was raised by wolves in the wild. Just kidding…I have a wife, two kids, a dog, two cats and five fish (won at a local festival four years ago...heartiest fish on the planet). No, the fish in the picture is not a pet.

Q: Do you have any hobbies? Our kids. Boy Scouts for our son and volleyball for our daughter. When I find the time, I like to go for a run with the dog.

Q: What is something most people might be surprised to know about you? After catching the fish in the picture (which was 1/3 eaten by a 12-foot shark) we went swimming in the ocean…and yes…the shark came back to see what was going on.

Q: Best concert you’ve ever been to? Barry Manilow at The Schott. My wife did a Groupon for $20 for two tickets. We went with two other couples and when we got there they needed people to fill the floor, so they moved all of us to the front row…it was a blast and the best $10 concert ticket ever!

Q: Favorite quote? If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball. – Patches O’Houlihan, Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story

Q: Do you have a favorite book or movie? I can watch “A Christmas Story” on a never ending loop.

Q: It’s 9 p.m. on a Saturday. What are you doing? Usually trying to decide what we’re going to watch on Netflix.