November 2015 OCIO Employee Spotlight: John Paver

This November, we are highlighting financial analyst John Paver. John has been with the OCIO for over a decade, and this former hay baler is happy to be using his brain muscles instead of his back muscles on a daily basis. This spotlight employee loves getting to the root of problems and being able to solve them for our customers. Although he’d rather be a part of his nephew’s pit crew or off racing down the ski slopes, John can be found at ADC tackling the big issues and major upgrade projects. Learn more about the adventurous John Paver.

Q: What is your role at the OCIO? My job title is PeopleSoft Prog/Analyst Lead. I am the Accounts Payable technical lead for the Financials Team. I also am the Incident Manager and EDM administrator for the team. In addition, I have been dubbed the arranger of all things non-work related for the EA Financials Team. I keep the team’s birthday roster and arrange a quarterly celebration. I have chaired our philanthropy committee and coordinated several related events. We do an annual golf outing that I arrange each year. This year our winning team had a couple of our OCIO Senior Leaders as members.

Q: How long have you worked at the OCIO? 11 years

Q: Have you worked on any large projects since you’ve been here? We just completed moving the financials system to a Linux operating system. I have worked on several upgrades including the last SIS/HR upgrade and I worked on the initial SIS conversion. I wrote a program for Payroll to extract and send corrected W2 information to the IRS. I was part of the original conversion of OSP from a legacy system to PeopleSoft.

Q: What are you currently working on? I am getting ready for 1099 season by reviewing the IRS changes to the 1099 reporting requirements.

Q: What does a typical day look like for you? My typical day starts by reviewing the previous night’s batch processing messages and looking for any issues from that. Then I review the ServiceNow incidents for our team to see if there are new ones or items that I can help resolve. I spend part of my day researching issues to determine the cause and how to fix it. I spend another part of my day talking with our customers and working through issues they report to the Help Desk.

Q: What do you like best about your job? I get exposed to a wide variety of things and I like helping people resolve issues. I have an analytical mind and can usually dig to the root of a problem.

Q: Did you always know this is what you wanted to do as a career? I thought that I would like to be programmer when I was a teenager but when I entered the military, they could not get me into a class soon enough to suit my needs so I took a different route there. In college I studied business management and earned my BS degree in that. I spent the early part of my career in the field of accounting working with systems people to build accounting processes.

Q: Where have you worked before this? Prior to the OCIO, I worked for the Office of Sponsored Programs (then known as the Research Foundation) for 5 years. I managed their legacy system until converting them to PeopleSoft in 2004. Before working at the university, I was in consulting and I have had many jobs in the private industry.

Q: What was your very first job? The very first job I had was farm labor—baling hay when I was 12 years old. It did not take me long to decide that my brain is stronger than my back…

Q: Where did you go to college? I went to junior college and earned an AA degree in Business Admin at El Camino College in Torrance, California. I attended California Polytechnic State University at San Luis Obispo, California for a year. I earned my BS in Business Management from California State University at Dominguez Hills in Carson, California.

Q: Where are you from originally? Marysville, Ohio

Q: What is your favorite place to visit? I love the mountains. I have camped out on top of Half Dome Mountain at Yosemite National Park for a full moon and I have snow skied at every major resort in the state of California.

Q: If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go and why? I would like to travel to Southeast Asia. I lived in Germany a couple of times for a total of two years when I was in the military and I would like to see the other side of the world.

Q: Do you have any family? I have three brothers and a sister. I am married and have three adult step children and a set of twin grandchildren.

Q: Do you have any hobbies? I love music and I collect stringed instruments. I have an acoustical and an electric guitar. I also have a ukulele, a mandolin and a guitar banjo. I don’t play any of them particularly well.

I am also a handler for my seven-year-old nephew who races quarter-midget cars. He was the league champion of his racing division this year.

Q: What is something most people might be surprised to know about you? I am always up for an adventure. I once hitchhiked across half the state of California to Lake Tahoe to go snow skiing for a weekend with a college friend. One of my life goals is to catch a fish that is bigger than me.

Q: Favorite place to eat in Columbus? Las Margarita’s, where I was made a victim of the dreaded birthday sombrero by coworkers

Q: Best concert you’ve ever been to? No brainer—Paul McCartney

Q: Favorite quote? Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.

Q: Do you have a favorite book or movie? I have read The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings series about 20 times. The movies they made for this series was very well done.

Q: Give three adjectives that best describe yourself. Adventurous, Inquisitive and Daring.

Posted in: