January 2016 Employee Spotlight: David Chuha

This January, Systems Administrator David Chuha is in the spotlight. A Columbus native and Buckeye for Life, he spends his days in the OCIO improving infrastructure and working with a variety of our teams. A computer lover since childhood, David has been enjoying the daily challenges and ongoing projects he has been working on for the past year. When he’s not working all day or through the night during a maintenance window, he is likely to Netflix and chill or head out to Lindey’s for a nice dinner. Learn more about David Chuha with this month’s Employee Spotlight.

Q: What is your role at the OCIO? I’m a Systems Administrator for the Enterprise Server team. I primarily work with Linux servers but also help with the Windows servers and data center network when they’ll let me.

Q: How long have you worked at the OCIO? I’ve worked for the OCIO for just over a year (since September 2014).

Q: Have you worked on any large projects since you’ve been here? I’ve worked on the data center migration to the State of Ohio Computer Center and the Finance/eMaterials Linux modernization project.

Q: What are you currently working on? Currently I’m working on improving automation, configuration management and monitoring for the Linux servers.

Q: What does a typical day look like for you? A typical work day will be problem solving to find resolutions for system problems/incidents and working with customers and other teams to design solutions and improve the infrastructure environment.

Q: What do you like best about your job? My favorite part of the job is that no two days are ever the same. I’m always presented with unique challenges and situations. I also enjoy the opportunity to work with many different people and teams within the OCIO.

Q: Did you always know this is what you wanted to do as a career? I had my first computer when I was about seven years old. Since then I’ve known that that I wanted to work with them. Prior to that I wanted to be a garbage truck driver.

Q: Where have you worked before this? Previous to working at the OCIO, I worked for the Center for Human Resource Research (CHRR) at Ohio State. I was there eight years before coming to the OCIO. CHRR performs surveys on human research topics (the largest one is the national longitudinal survey for the Bureau of Labor Statistics). I was able to gain a broad range of experience, especially in systems security topics. Prior to that I worked for a small business IT consulting company called Micro Resources.

Q: What was your very first job? Wendy’s

Q: Where did you go to college? The Ohio State University (Computer Science Engineering)

Q: Where are you from originally? I’ve been in Columbus since I was three years old.

Q: What is your favorite place to visit? Anywhere with water. Preferably the ocean, but my parents also have a house off a small lake in southern Ohio.

Q: If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go and why? I haven’t been to too many places around the world but I visited Europe once and would like to go back. I love the history. Since I haven’t been there, I’ll say Greece.

Q: Do you have any family? Two sisters

Q: Do you have any hobbies? Golf, but haven’t had as much time to play over the last couple years.

Q: What is something most people might be surprised to know about you? I am recently engaged to my girlfriend of three years as of New Year’s Eve.

Q: Favorite place to eat in Columbus? Lindey’s

Q: It’s 9 p.m. on a Saturday. What are you doing? Out to dinner or more likely at home watching Netflix. Unless it’s a quarterly maintenance window, in which case I may be working.

Q: Give three adjectives that best describe yourself. Curious, persistent, capable (maybe procrastinative too)

Posted in: