April 2016 Employee Spotlight: Jeff Geren

This month, the spotlight falls on telecom engineer Jeff Geren. This former target loader at a shooting range had dreams of being an on-air radio personality. However, he got turned on to tech by a PC game and has stuck with the field ever since. Jeff joined the OCIO in 2002, and the work/life balance the university provides has him hooked. This father of one can be found at TNC (when he’s not lunching at Raising Cane’s), but he’d rather be unplugged, relaxing at the beach. Read on to learn more about Jeff.

Q: What is your role at the OCIO? I am a telecommunications engineer responsible for all voice communications at the university including the CIC Contact Center software, Lync/Skype, Voice Mail and all other forms of voice communications.

Q: How long have you worked at the OCIO? I have been with the OCIO since I started at Ohio State in February 2002.

Q: Have you worked on any large projects since you’ve been here? Yes; Recently, I have been involved with multiple CIC Contact Center deployments, the Lync/Skype rollout, the Avaya IP communications platform and many other projects.

Q: What are you currently working on? I am currently finishing up the most recent CIC upgrade and getting ready for the Skype project.

Q: What do you like best about your job? The best thing about working for the OCIO and OSU is the work/life balance that is afforded to us. Not many places can offer the flexibility that we are allowed.

Q: Did you always know this is what you wanted to do as a career? No…I always wanted to be a radio personality and be on-air. I love music and making people laugh. It seemed like the perfect career for me.

Q: Where have you worked before this? I worked as an IT technical consultant and as a technical recruiter.

Q: What was your very first job? My very first job was at 14, working as a target loader at a shooting club.

Q: Where are you from originally? I was born in Findlay, OH.

Q: What is your favorite place to visit? Easy…the beach…ANY beach!

Q: If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go and why? Somewhere without internet access, so I can be forced to “unplug” for a while.

Q: Do you have any family? I have a son Zane, who is 13. I also have one brother and one sister.

Q: What is something most people might be surprised to know about you? I first got into technology because of a PC game. Doom2 for all the old school gamers out there!

Q: Favorite place to eat in Columbus? Apparently, it would be Cane’s, based on how many times I went for lunch in the last year.

Q: Best concert you’ve ever been to? Any Dave Matthews Band show.

Q: Do you have a favorite book or movie? Favorite movie of all time is Forrest Gump.

Q: It’s 9 p.m. on a Saturday. What are you doing? Mostly likely doing something around the house. It never ends!