Beginning Monday, September 12, Enterprise Security will be implementing BuckeyePass to protect your personal information in the Employee Self Service (ESS) system within Human Resources. BuckeyePass is a multi-factor authentication service that provides a second layer of protection for university. You may already be using multi-factor authentication to log in to your bank account, email or social media accounts.
Why do we need BuckeyePass?
Cybercriminals are smart, they want your information and they are continually inventing new ways to get it. At some businesses phishing schemes have compromised an employee’s password, allowing the employee’s direct deposit payroll to be diverted to the cybercriminal’s account.
This specific threat is one of the reasons we chose the Employee Self Service (ESS) system as the first university-wide service to receive multi-factor protection. Employee Self Service includes personal data related to paychecks, benefits and leave. You will also log-in to ESS to update your benefits during Open Enrollment later this autumn, so registering before then is critical.
How does it work?
- Start by enrolling at https://buckeyepass.osu.edu
- Choose how you want to receive your authentication code that will verify your identity:
- Mobile app (app provided by Duo)
- Text message
- Telephone call
- Hard token (in very limited circumstances)
- After September 12, when you access ESS information, you will first enter your Ohio State username (lastname.#) and password
- After you’ve entered your credentials, a security code will be sent to you by whichever method you chose during your BuckeyePass enrollment
- Enter the enrollment code as a second identification step and you’ll be logged in to ESS
- Users who need help technical help using BuckeyePass can call 614-688-HELP (4357)
How can I win an iPad?
As an added incentive, we’ll be giving away an iPad to one lucky winner who registers for BuckeyePass by Friday, September 9! Those who register will be automatically be part of the random drawing, and those who currently use BuckeyePass for Splunk or VPN access also already have an entry in the contest! More details are below.
General Rules for the Sign up for BuckeyePass – Win an iPad Contest
- Employees who set up BuckeyePass multi-factor authentication will be automatically be entered to win through Friday, September 9, 2016. The winner will be announced on OCIO’s website on Monday, September 19.
- Anyone may participate, but only Ohio State employees are eligible to win.
- If you win, we will contact you via your Ohio State email address (lastname.#) to verify your employment. We will not share your personal information with anyone. Upon receipt of the prize, the winner must show a photo ID.
- The iPad prize will be taxable to the recipient. If an iPad winner refuses the prize another winner will be drawn. For this reason, additional identification will be required if the winner is a nonresident alien.
- Further questions can be directed to Amber Buening at firstname.lastname@example.org.