August Employee Spotlight: Chris Palmer

This August the spotlight falls on SIS developer Chris Palmer. This 6-year Buckeye loves solving puzzles and working with his Enterprise Applications cohort. He’s held a wide range of jobs, but he gave in to the call of technology (even passing up laser tag!). When he’s not at Airport Drive, you can find him noshing on brunch at Northstar Café or heading as far west as his motorbike will take him. Get to know your OCIO comrade, Chris Palmer, in this month’s employee spotlight.

Q: What is your role at the university? I am a developer in the Student Information System group in Enterprise Applications, so I mostly work on the PeopleSoft SIS system.

Q: How long have you worked at Ohio State? This summer marks my six-year anniversary of becoming a Professional Buckeye.

Q: What are you currently working on? Our team is generally working on a mix of larger projects that often span months, smaller projects that span a week or two and various bug fixes and maintenance. I really enjoy the troubleshooting and puzzle-solving aspects that are a large part of this job, as well as working with a wide array of friendly coworkers.

Q: Where have you worked before this? I helped a geotechnical firm plot their work sites into a Geographical Information System, worked at a laser tag arena, put together maps where we sold advertising around the edges and then gave the maps away, answered phones and travelled to clients at all levels of technical support, created and taught software support training classes, was a business analyst at a couple of universities, implemented a mobile suite of software, managed a few teams, did some independent consulting, etc. I’ve always been confused at questions like, “Where do you see yourself in 5 years?”

Q: Where did you go to college? I went to Earlham College, a Quaker-based liberal arts school just over the border in Indiana.

Q: Where are you from originally? I’m from Amelia, a small town near Cincinnati, Ohio.

Q: What is your favorite place to visit? My primary vehicle these days is a scooter. It’s a larger bike than other motorbikes I’ve had recently, so I’ve been taking longer trips. So currently my favorite place to visit is just around the next bend!

That being said, if we’re picking destinations, I really love the American West. My wife and I lived in San Diego for a handful of years and I always enjoy hiking and exploring that direction.

Q: Can you tell us about your family? I’m married to a wonderful woman who is a professional artist (mostly sculpture). No children and we’ve had various cats and a dog over the years. Recently we’ve been leading a more nomadic lifestyle dictated by her artistic opportunities, which has been a lot of fun.

Q: Favorite place to eat in Columbus? I love that all the options make this a hard question! I’m mostly vegetarian (plus the occasional sea creature) and North Star makes the best veggie burgers and has an awesome Sunday brunch (if you can make it in before the rush). 

Q: Do you have a favorite book or movie? I don’t have any favorites since there are too many good options. I read a lot, mostly stereotypical computer nerd science fiction. Lev Grossman’s trilogy that starts with “The Magicians” is one of my recent-ish favorites, though.

Q: It’s 9 p.m. on a Saturday. What are you doing? I would most likely be savoring a cocktail, either with friends somewhere or with my wife, enjoying a quiet evening at home. We like checking out live music but also find ourselves happy to be home at a reasonable hour, so 9 p.m. is about the time we make a good or bad decision about the night!