October 2016 Employee Spotlight: Glenn Donaldson

This month the spotlight shines on Application Architecture Director Glenn Donaldson. Glenn came to Ohio State for college and never left! This father of four enjoys solving problems, helping others and networking while he’s on the job, but prefers to sing and dance after hours. Learn more about Glenn in this month’s Employee Spotlight!

Q: What is your role at the university? My current role is Director of Application Architecture, which means I am responsible for the establishment and adherence to the architectural practices and principles of Enterprise Applications in the OCIO. I also serve as a leader of application architecture functions across the university. I consult with internal and external domain architects and developers, and I am a key liaison between Enterprise Applications, OCIO, ODEE and other university IT teams to ensure solutions are in alignment with overall strategies.

Q: How long have you worked at Ohio State? I have worked for Ohio State for 22+ years in ESUE/Registrar’s Office (’94-’01) and then OCIO (’01-present). I also worked for the Registrar’s Office and the Computer Science Department as a student.

Q: Have you worked on any large projects since you’ve been here? Yes, I have been involved in several large projects, and here are a few:

• Buckeye Link, 2004
  • HR Upgrade 8.9, 2004-2006
  • SIS PeopleSoft 8.9 Implementation, 2006-2009
  • Semesters Project
  • The Ohio State App, 2011
  • HR 9.2/SIS 9.0 Upgrade, 2012-2014
  • Data Center Move, 2015
  • Enterprise Integration Platform (EIP), 2015

Q: What are you currently working on? I am currently an integration advisor on the Workday Financials Implementation project and I’m also working with the Enterprise Integration Platform.

Q: What do you like best about your job? I really enjoy solving problems and having opportunities to help others, network and mentor. I also like that my work involves looking towards the future.

Q: Did you always know this is what you wanted to do as a career? Pretty much...At age 11 or 12, I knew I would work with and around computers. This is when I bought my first computer. If I did not end up in computers, I would have been in Performing Arts (primarily singing) and possibly acting. I was in choir, show choir, the honors choir of the State of Ohio, etc.

Q: Where did you go to college? I came to Ohio State for school and I haven’t left. :) My undergraduate degree was a BSCIS with Hardware/Software Specialization from the College of Engineering. I also earned an MBA from the University of Phoenix during the original Student PeopleSoft Implementation.

Q: Where are you from originally? I’m from Saint Clairsville, Ohio (East off I-70). Go Red Devils!!

Q: What is your favorite place to visit? My favorite places are Disney and Hilton Head at the moment. I love seeing the kids have fun!

Q: If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go and why? I would like to go to Australia or Ireland for the beauty, culture and adventure.

Q: Can you tell us about your family? I have a wife, Meredyth, and we have four children (three girls; one boy): Claire (8), Chloe (6.5), Saige (2), and Gabriel (Gabe) (7 mo).

Q: Do you have any hobbies? Besides technology and my work, I also enjoy music, singing, dancing, sports, gaming and, when inspired, poetry.

Q: What is something most people might be surprised to know about you? Here are a few things:

• I am into Genealogy
  • I love Assassin’s Creed and Tomb Raider
  • I like Theater/Broadway shows

Q: Best concert you’ve ever been to? My two favorites were Tina Turner and Lionel Richie at the Schott and U2 at Ohio Stadium.

Q: Favorite quote(s)?

• "Look for smart people with open minds who can be taught to do anything as opposed to a thoroughbred that knows only how to run around an oval race-track." — Anonymous
  • "Intelligence plus character—that is the goal of true education." — Martin Luther King Jr.
  • "If you only do what worked in the past, you will wake up one day and find that you’ve been passed by." — The Innovator’s Dilemma, Clayton Christensen.
  • "The significant problems we face cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them." — Albert Einstein

Q: It’s 9 p.m. on a Saturday. What are you doing? I’m likely watching TV or a movie with family or at a Buckeye Football game in the fall.

Q: Give three adjectives that best describe yourself. Friendly, Knowledgeable, Energetic