As the Data Warehouse/Business Intelligence team configured the new BuckIQ environment, we were having some support disconnects with our vendor, Oracle. We realized we had to find a different way to work together since the Oracle platform powers all PeopleSoft applications in addition to BuckIQ.
By collaborating with them, we discovered they offer several options to work together more effectively, including a wealth of online resources for users to access when they need help. Since that discussion, Oracle has provided a training session to all of our OCIO teams on best practices, and their continued support is already starting to make a positive difference in the solutions we provide to our customers.
Oracle provides the following tips for getting the most out of their products, as well as a full list of resources located on their blog.
- The #1 investment is the product itself, therefore study the product. Oracle provides a number of online resources to help you learn to use their product, such as Oracle University, product-specific landing pages, a learning library called "Oracle By Example" and information about functional changes when upgrades are released. There are also an ongoing schedule of web conferences and archives of past webcasts.
- Remain In-the-Know from Oracle Support and Oracle Corporation. Oracle offers a variety of email newsletters you can sign up for to stay informed about product-specific updates, events, webcasts and other hot topics. Choose the information you want and sign up for those emails.
- Personalize My Oracle Support and Use Configuration Manager. If you want to customize your experience with Oracle Support, there are resources for that! Oracle offers guides and tutorial videos to its users so they can set up and configure their support to their liking.
- FIND it, the FIRST time, FAST! Similar to the OCIO Knowledge Base, Oracle offers its own Knowledge Browser. Additional information, How-Tos, and solutions to problems are just a search away.
- Leverage ALL the available Diagnostics tools and Scripts. If you are responsible for keeping your Oracle products running smoothly, the company provides access to diagnostic tools for a variety of products and operating systems.
- Engage with Oracle Support. Stay proactive with any issues you may encounter—Oracle is there to support you, but only if they know what’s going on. Record any issues, fill out service request forms, and escalate problems when necessary.
- Expand your Circles of Influence. Stay connected with other Oracle users through blogs, Twitter, podcasts, and forums. You can discuss common issues, share successes, and more.
- Understand Oracle Support Policies and Processes. You review policies from the university on institutional data, responsible use, and wireless networks from time to time; Oracle’s support policies and processes should get the same attention. Stay up to date so you know how to receive the best support.
For links to specific resources mentioned above, be sure to visit Oracle’s blog post: 8 Habits of Highly Effective Oracle Support Users