On May 19, 2014, the OCIO made Microsoft Lync Instant Messaging (IM) and Presence available university-wide. Offered at no cost, Lync is a valuable communication tool that allows for quick messaging of co-workers, regardless of location.
IM and Presence through Lync make asking questions, relaying time-critical information and sending files a breeze. Users are able to view the availability of their contacts before messaging them. Multiple contacts can be brought into a group IM, allowing teams to have real-time conversations without having to physically meet. Additionally, users have the ability to share their entire desktop or a single program within an IM conversation.
The adoption of Lync across the university has continued to grow since it was released. The number of active users has nearly doubled and more than 100,000 IMs have been sent per week since the launch.
All customers of University Email Service are currently eligible to use Lync, but it is up to each department or unit to decide if they are going to utilize the service.
- Choose Order Services
- Under Software Services click Site License Software Request
- Make sure your user information is correct and navigate to the next screen
- Select Lync Client from the menu of software options
- Choose the Windows or Macintosh version of the client
- Choose the license type and quantity
- Select if your device is university or personally owned
- Accept the Software License Agreement
- Submit your request
Units whose users do not have administrative privileges on their machines will need to have their local IT staff download and install the client.