January 2015 OCIO Employee Spotlight: Alireza Amini

This month’s spotlight falls on Alireza Amini, a member of the Middleware Administration team. This black belt (in Six Sigma) enjoys tennis and water sports, as well as creatively solving tricky tech problems. Holding a bachelor’s and two master’s degrees from Ohio State, Alireza shares his vast knowledge and talents with the OCIO to support major university systems.

Q: What is your role at the OCIO? I’m a member of the Middleware Administration team. My job includes supporting the middleware components of our ERP systems and applications such as PeopleSoft and EDM.

Q: How long have you worked at the OCIO? I’ve been working at the OCIO for the last seven years. I first joined the Batch Automation team when I was a graduate student at Ohio State. From there, I moved to the Configuration Management team to work on the Buckeye OASIS project before joining the Middleware team to work on the HR/SIS upgrade project.

Q: Have you worked on any large projects since you’ve been here? The projects that I’ve been involved with include: Autosys Upgrade, Buckeye OASIS Web Applications Project (eTravel, eLeave, Timesheet, Curriculum, etc.), HR/SIS PeopleSoft upgrade and OnBase Enterprise Document Management system.

Q: What are you currently working on? What does a typical day look like for you? I’m currently working on the implementation of the OnBase Enterprise Document Management [EDM] system. OnBase will eventually replace various legacy EDM systems that are currently being used at the university. On a typical day, my time is divided between technical design and implementation of EDM, and coordination of various tasks related to networking, infrastructure and application security. In short, I’m responsible for implementing the non-functional system requirements, such as performance, reliability, security and maintainability.

Q: What do you like best about your job? I enjoy solving tough technical problems through creativity and collaboration. As a Lean Six Sigma Black Belt, I’m always thinking of ways to make our work more efficient and create value for the university community.

Q: Where did you go to college? The Ohio State University for both undergraduate and graduate degrees. I received my bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering (Computer Option) and one master’s degree in Business Operations and a second one in Logistics Engineering.

Q: What is your favorite place to visit? I have many good memories from visiting Chicago with my family when I was younger and always enjoy going back.

Q: If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go and why? I love water sports and being close to the ocean. If I could pick, I would probably choose Hawaii.

Q: Do you have any hobbies? I enjoy playing tennis competitively and for fun.

Q: What is something most people might be surprised to know about you? I presented a research paper on medical image processing at the Southern Biomedical Engineering Conference while an undergraduate student at Ohio State.

Q: Favorite place to eat in Columbus? I love the vegetarian burger at North Star Café.

Q: Best concert you’ve ever been to? Rolling Stones with White Stripes as their opener at Nationwide Arena

Q: Favorite quote? “Loyalty to petrified opinions never yet broke a chain or freed a human soul.”  Mark Twain

Q: Do you have a favorite book or movie? The Shawshank Redemption

Q: It’s 9 p.m. on a Saturday. What are you doing? Spending time with family and friends.