In response to requests from many across our community, we recently made system updates that allow you to maintain and display a preferred first name in several systems (SIS, HR, my.osu.edu). These systems can now synchronize and share your preferred first name.
What is a preferred first name?
- Your primary name is your legal name and official name of record for your transcripts, Statement of Account, Buck ID, diploma, payroll, etc.
- Your preferred first name is the name you are known by other than your legal first name.
EXAMPLE 1: Jonathan Edward Smith goes by Jack. Jonathan is his primary name. Jack is his preferred name. The systems will now recognize “Jack Smith” as his name.
EXAMPLE 2: Steve Jones identifies as Sarah. Steve is her primary name. Sarah is her preferred name. The systems will now recognize “Sarah Jones” as her name.
How do you change your PREFERRED first name?
If you notice your preferred first name is not what you intended, you can change it by going to my.osu.edu and following these easy steps:
- Log in to my.osu.edu
- Click on My OSU Identity Information
- You can add, change or delete the value in the Preferred First Name field
Once saved, your preferred first name will sync to lots of systems – including my.osu.edu, Student and/or Applicant Center, Employee Self Service, email (preferred name in parentheses), Carmen and class rosters. Additional preferred name system enhancements will be coming later in the summer, including email and Find People. We appreciate your patience as your preferred name synchronizes throughout connected systems.
How do you change your PRIMARY name?
Your primary name is your legal name and official name of record for your transcripts, Statement of Account, Buck ID, diploma, payroll and etc.
If you need to change your primary name due to a legal name change or any other reason, complete the Change of Record Form:
- For Students: https://registrar.osu.edu/students/req_chng_rec.pdf
- For Faculty and Staff: http://controller.osu.edu/forms/payroll/ChangeRecord.pdf
Need more help?
Additional assistance is available through the IT Service Desk. Use the contact information below or visit one of our BuckeyeBar locations at Thompson Library or Tech Hub.