March 2016 Employee Spotlight: Daniel Sabatino

This month the spotlight falls on web application developer Daniel Sabatino. This former IT Service Desk agent was always drawn to technology, and he struck a career path that led him through multiple IT positions at the university. Today, Daniel is a member of the shared services team, most known for combining the OCIO and ODEE org charts. Daniel is a fan of traveling, camping and craft beer…unless I heard that from his identical twin! Find out more about Daniel (at least I think it’s him…) in this month’s employee spotlight.

Q: What is your role at the OCIO? I am a web application developer on the OCIO/ODEE shared service web team.

Q: How long have you worked at the OCIO? I first worked at the OCIO way back in 1998 when it was called OIT. I was a student worker and worked at the help desk until 2003. I returned last February in my current role.

Q: Have you worked on any large projects since you’ve been here? Yes, my primary project for the past year has been rebuilding the OrgChart application from the ground up. It went live on Feb 17.

Q: What are you currently working on? I’m still primarily working on the OrgChart application. There are many improvements still to be made and a long list of requested features to work on.

Q: What do you like best about your job? I really enjoy the work/life balance we’re afforded here.

Q: Did you always know this is what you wanted to do as a career? I think I knew that I would work in the tech industry in some capacity as early as high school. Becoming a developer just sort of happened as I followed opportunities and interests along the way.

Q: Where have you worked before this? After working at the help desk, I then went to the Med Center and worked on their student information system for several years. I then moved on to the College of Public Health for a stint as their web developer before return to OCIO.

Q: What was your very first job? My first job was in the family business at my dad’s custom cabinetry shop when I was around 12 years old.

Q: Where did you go to college? The Ohio State University

Q: Where are you from originally? I’m originally from Salem, OH.

Q: If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go and why? It’s impossible to pick just one place. I enjoy traveling and have a long list of places I want to get to.

Q: Do you have any hobbies? I probably have too many hobbies. I enjoy gaming, movies, traveling, camping, and cycling. I’m also a craft beer snob and have been itching to try my hand at home brewing. 

Q: What is something most people might be surprised to know about you? I have an identical twin brother and we were born on leap year.

Q: Favorite place to eat in Columbus? There are so many great places to eat here but if I had to pick just one, I’d go with Thurman’s.

Q: Best concert you’ve ever been to? Tenacious D and Weezer at the Schott