May 2016 Employee Spotlight: Josh Jennings

This month, the spotlight falls on ODEE employee, Josh Jennings. As a manager of classroom technology, Josh can be found updating over 350 collaborative learning spaces (AND responding to incidents on top of regular maintenance). Josh has been with Ohio State since 2000, and when he’s away from campus, he can be found golfing, reading Stephen King and raising two future American Ninja Warriors. Learn more about Josh in this month’s employee spotlight.

Q: What is your role at ODEE? My team installs and maintains all of the equipment that is used daily in all the centrally managed classrooms and collaborative learning spaces, including Digital Unions. We bring the creative and innovative plans of high-tech teaching and learning to physical manifestation in the ever changing classrooms of tomorrow. We update and maintain ~360 classroom spaces and provide incident response from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. five days a week with just four technicians.

Not only are we responsible for the reliability of our own equipment, but we also have to provide seamless integration to multiple other devices supported by other areas such as computers, MediaSite Recorders, Video Conferencing Units and lighting control systems.

Q: How long have you worked at the university? I joined Ohio State in November 2000, and we were known as OIT at that time. While this is my only post grad job, I had multiple jobs in high school and college including Electrical Engineering Co-op terms with Mead Paper and General Electric.

Q: Do you have any hobbies? I enjoy reading Stephen King novels and playing golf, but seldom have to the opportunity to do either activity.

Q: If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go and why? I had the opportunity to go to Italy and Greece for 10 days with my school when I was 17. It was a great experience, and I would love to go back sometime.

Q: Do you have any family? I have two wonderful kids, Hannah 12 ½ and Noah 9. Hannah is a level 6 competitive gymnast who can do a back handspring on the beam. Noah loves to play basketball, but also enjoys playing baseball, football and gymnastics as well. They both want to be American Ninja Warriors.

Posted in: