December Employee Spotlight: Grace Buchholz

This month’s spotlight employee comes from shared services across OCIO and ODEE. You’ve heard her name and read it on emails, but you may not have met this Wes Anderson-loving writer. She dreamed of being a fossil finder, but lucky for us, digging up new ways to communicate to students also keeps her satisfied. Meet Mount Hall Move Admiral Grace Buchholz in this month’s employee spotlight!

Q: What is your role at the university?

I’m a marketing and communications coordinator as a part of the Marketing team. I work primarily with Tech Hub, but also communicate for the Digital Unions and internal ODEE/OCIO matters. Do you receive Team News or Mount updates? That’s me.

Q: What do you like best about your job?

I love that I’m always learning. There really is no ‘typical day’ in my job which makes sure that I’m always on my toes thinking about new projects, clients or strategy items. I communicate primarily with students and it is so interesting to me how communication has changed over the past ten years for that subset of our population. In my role I get to think about big-picture ideas like that and also put ideas about new avenues or strategies into practice. It is very full-circle and means that I’m never really done learning about the audiences I work with.   

Q: Did you always know this is what you wanted to do as a career?

Nope. Not at all. When I was a Kindergartner I wanted to be a paleontologist (as part of my dinosaur phase), much to the chagrin of my parents who had to try and find a pith helmet for my Halloween costume that year. I have always loved to write, so marketing and communications has been a natural extension of that.

Q: Favorite place to eat in Columbus?

Well that depends. Brunch- Forno, their chicken and waffles are so good, and almost comically bad for you. Dinner- Marcella’s. This is a new favorite, but everything I had there was a winner. The calamari and the eggplant ravioli are my picks. For a less expensive dinner, Joey Chang’s in Hilliard is my go-to. They have these spicy peanut noodles that are stellar.

Q: Do you have a favorite movie?

Absolutely everything Wes Anderson. I think I’ve seen Moonrise Kingdom more than ten times. On the other end of the spectrum, I really dislike Quentin Tarantino movies. I know that’s an unpopular opinion, but you can watch Pulp Fiction without me.